Friday, April 8, 2011

When (If) we get a dog



I've never had a dog so I don't really know all that goes into having one. I still really like most of the dogs I meet and like the idea of having one. Someday. When the kids are older. And can help.


The kids (Olivia too) love love LOVE dogs, and any other animal. They have tried several times to feed dogs and persuade dogs to stay and be our pets. We have become good friends with Jean and her dog Star. More than friends. Eden talked me into getting Star doggy treats and we keep them in Jeans cupboard. We take books and practice reading with Star. Olivia got her first doggy kisses from Star. Eden often pretends to be Star. We love Star.


Star is a certified service dog. She was certified at a place on the North Shore called, "Hawaii Fido." Love it! She helps Jean get her phone, tells her if there's someone at the door, and even has had to help her walk. Star can go anywhere- buses, airplanes, stores. Star is trained to be read to and go in hospitals. I think that when (if) we get a dog it's going to have to be a service dog. For now, Star is more than enough dog for us.

4 comments:

Ashleigh said...

so cute. JOsh and I find ourselves wanting a dog more and more. I think a service dog would be soooo super. I love the Hawaii fiddo~awesome.

Melanie said...

I'm going to train our next dog to be a therapy dog. But we're thinking of taking a dog break after Carl and Petey are gone. 14 years is a long time to have such a big responsibility. The baby has changed the game a bit.

Amy said...

We just got back from Washington visiting Betsy and Jose. They have a little shitzu-poodle mixed dog named Kai. My kids were loving having a pet for a week. We too will someday get a dog, but not for several more years. It is so hard for kids to wait.

ashley said...

sounds like my kind of dog. now that we have the fence luke and the girls want a puppy. a puppy. a puppy? umm, i have too many people to take care of already at the moment why would i add another?
i do like the idea of a service dog though....