Sunday, July 18, 2010

Old and New

I kind of hate my infant car seat. It's the one we got with Taj almost FIVE YEARS AGO! That blows me away. It works fine. It's pretty ugly and beat up and heavy, but works. I can't really justify a new car seat to replace a perfectly functioning one.


I decided it's not a big deal, and then we got it out and put it in the car. Ugo's. I took matters into my own hands and made this "car seat canopy". That's what they call them here in Utah. I've been spotting them all over, and besides making a lot of sense it looks a lot better to me than the old car seat.

* Not too many tips on a "bounce back" recovery from pregnancy and labor online, but I was told about one thing that I'm going to try. It's called the "belly bandit". It's a thick elastic contraption you strap around your loose guts and it holds it all in place. It's supposed to help your uterus contract more effectively and let your tummy look flatter in the mean time. I got one, so we'll see.

9 comments:

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

It looks really cute! I'm planning on making one too before baby comes, I just haven't gotten around to it.
So you know though, car seats do have an "expiration date", which i think is 5 years after manufacturing. I think insurance companies make a big deal out it. So maybe you would be justified in getting a new one!

Bailey said...

That fabric is super cute. Where did you get it?

Megan and Keli'i said...

Congrats again on the new babe, Micah and Jill! Can't wait to see the baby in person...and the car seat looks great! Especially for going through three babies.

Smiths said...

got the fabric at a great place in Highland called, "Just Sew." It's not the cheapest place, but make sure you have time to look through everything- there's a ton of cute stuff.

Thanks for the info on the 5 year expiration on car seats- i'll be looking into it. And CONGRATULATIONS!!

Mariko said...

My car seat is totally nasty. I'm blaming Hawaii. I was all looking forward to getting a new one but my husband decided to try to clean it and says it's good enough. Darn him. :)

heidi said...

it takes a little longer every baby (it seems) to get back to "normal". i had one of those belly things and it feels really good to wear for the first bit. when's your due date?

heidi said...

okay duh sorry--i just saw you have less than two weeks!!! yay.

Jeff and Eliza said...

I totally used something like that. Except it was like a shorts thing that goes over your legs and goes up to your belly button. Got it at Target. Not sure if it helped speed anything up, but I didn't feel fat and jiggly when I walked so it was cool.

Melanie said...

I'm a little dubious of the expiration date on a car seat. Is it because the plastic degrades? Otherwise I can't imagine why something made of plastic and more plastic would go bad. I bet millions of years from now they'll still be finding car seats in landfills.

I do understand the not loving the looks of something though. Ben did heavy research for our car seat and we're going with a convertible one from Britax. Excellent reviews and all seats sold in the US are made in the US. Just a suggestion in case you can't stand to look at yours anymore.