Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rewind...

We went to California last week and had a great time. It wasn't exactly eye opening, but there were a few things reconfirmed for me during the trip. -I LOVE the beach. Ashley Moffat explained it well when she said it's one of the most satisfying things to see your kids love something you love. On one of our plan free days in California we took the kids to the beach with the Moffats instead of Disneyland and don't regret it for a second. Happiest place on earth by far :) Thanks again Moffats. Lets do it again soon o.k. -Reconfirmed that Velzy and Ivy are cool little people. They taught Taj to body surf and make "drip castles". I don't know where Velzy learned her wrestling moves, but she has earned the Smith family's respect.
-Utah is a bubble. I was surprised by all the, um, colorful people out there. By colorful I'm not referring to non Anglo, while that is also true. You don't come across much variety here in Happy Valley, but we sure met some interesting characters there. It was refreshing, but also helped me realize what a unique place Utah is. There is a lot of junk out there in the world. The bums were very sweet. They often said how blessed we are to have such a beautiful family. I really do feel blessed.
-Water in California is cold, but not too cold after playing football on the beach, chasing seagulls, or when the waves look funner than the waves in Utah Lake.-Steve and Taffy (my in-laws) are a couple of the kindest, most patient and generous and thoughtful people I've met in my life. Let's just say traveling with little ones can wear a Mom down and put her in less than the best of moods. They were unwavering. I was met with constant smiles, love and willingness to help. Basically, they are superhuman. My heroes.
-The produce world IS worldwide. Duh, right? I buy grapes from Chile, and avocado's from Mexico. My onions from Washington, and on and on. Because Micah works with his Dad brokering produce in our basement I never thought about the magnitude of the business they are involved in, until we went to the Produce Convention in Anaheim. It was ginormous. We got all kinds of free stuff: food cooked by Tyler of the Food Network, pictures with the Ocean Spray guy, totes a plenty, stress ball potatoes and pineapples, pens, chap stick, avocado/lilikoi Popsicles (yum), and much more. It was huge and impressive and fun. If I could, I'd be a produce convention roadie. I loved it.
-I love free stuff :)
-It's always nice to be home after a long trip.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Produce may be world wide but nothing beats the produce from your own backyard or town. Deliciousness minus the carbon footprint.

The kids are getting so big! Glad to see how happy a "work" vacation can make everyone!

ashley said...

for sure, the happiest place on earth!

Amy said...

Sounds like a fun trip. I think it is so nice to just get away from your regular life and go somewhere else. I wish we could do that more often. Diddo on all your comments about Steve and Taffy. They are the best!

Smiths said...

Hey Melanie- I totally agree that there's nothing better than home grown, unfortunately doing that would leave many people hungry and malnourished. At least we're not selling cattle parts, cuz I hear the carbon footprints on those beasts are really REALLY bad.

Amy- I wish you could get away more often too, like to closer to us :)