Sunday, September 6, 2009

Captain Planet!


I've noticed a lot of talk about recycling on my kids favorite TV shows: "Little Bill", "Curious George", and "Caillou". I let them watch one after our morning walk early this summer and it instantly became routine. I enjoy it too. Back to the recycling- I noticed it, but until a week ago I didn't think the kids did. Taj started asking me if we could recycle certain items, and always asked when he was throwing things away. I sank a little feeling badly that we don't pay extra for the special recycling bin. Instead of making excuses Taj and I took a couple of boxes and turned them into our recycling center. I am really impressed by his interest in this. He points out the recycling symbol on everything and still asks if he can recycle items going into the trash. Now I can say "Yes" and let him take it to the right spot. I'm so proud. Taj can be such a good influence on our family.

5 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

Good for you guys. I need to get my recycling going! How cool to get the entire family involved!

Melanie said...

Yay! That makes me so happy. We love our curbside recycling in Portland and it makes me mad that it doesn't exist everywhere! Taj is growing up to be such a great little 4 year old!

Amy said...

That is so cute. The city of Saint Paul has free curb-side recycling. It is nice to feel like you are not being so wasteful.

Amy said...

When I said "you" I meant "we" as in all of us. :)

ashley said...

taj and velzy have to get married. they just have to. i love him, he is so sweet!

when are you going to be down here! let me know, i can't wait! the water is soooo warm right now, it would be so nice if it stayed that way till you got here! and we have tons of boards, so we have no excuse not to go surf!