Saturday, August 1, 2009

Best Play dough EVER!


I was raised on homemade play dough. When the dough got hard and crusty my Mom would whip out new stuff in minutes-no recipe. I remember her telling me to wait until it cooled down and loving how soft and warm it was at first. It's a great memory for me, but growing up with homemade play dough also made the store bought stuff seem like such a luxury.
When Taj got some store bought I played with it and loved how I didn't have the salty residue on my hands after. It was so vibrant and almost as luxurious as I imagined it to be. As the name brand stuff got old and crusty, just like my Mom's always did, I started to think how great the homemade stuff was and tried to make it. It was warm and fun and felt like I was making memories. The play dough, however, wasn't as nice as the store bought and left that salty residue. Then came the ultimate amazing Kool Aid Play dough recipe! My cousin Natalie is craftiness and cleverness and everything else a Mom should be. She opened my world to this delicious smelling and feeling home made play dough that is incomparable to anything play dough. It's amazing.
The Recipe:
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
1 TBSP Alum (find it near spices)
2 Cups Boiling Water
3 Small Packages UNSWEETENED Kool Aid
3 TBSP Cooking Oil
  • Mix dry ingredients
  • Add oil and water
  • Stir quickly. When cool, mix with hands
  • Store in Ziploc baggies
  • Will keep for months

Don't seal the bags until it's totally cooled down or you'll end up with a gooey mess (I realized that the dummy way where you make some for a couple friends and bet they are laughing at you now :))

You really won't believe it. It's amazing and smells soooooo good. Enjoy!

2 comments:

liko said...

jill -- thanks for sharing this playdough recipe!!! i heard about this one and i am gonna try it!!

ashley said...

i must try this! i sort of like the way the store stuff smells, but this sounds amazing!

and i really like the song that is playing about sun.

and, your a doll...thanks for the etsy order. shipped it today, hope she loves it. your rad.