Thursday, May 14, 2009

Following Through

After about a year of thinking how much our overheating vacuum sucked (in the sense that it did not suck well at all) I got my new vacuum today. I LOVE IT! Hoover wind tunnel, if anyone was wondering.


So while I'm vacuuming the entire house like a madwoman, each room twice and showing all the amazing stuff it was sucking up to anyone around- and to think I stood up for my other vacuum for months and months, I got to thinking about all the other things I tell myself I'll do week after week, day after day, sometimes several times a day and DON'T DO for any reason other than I have no follow through-ability. I've always been pretty flaky I've decided, and unless there's a really good outside motivator, chances are I won't get myself to do it.
Here's a small sampling of my frequent vows:
-Get to bed early
-Put the laundry away; there's always laundry to put away
-take my camera with me everywhere I go
-thank Micah more for all the work he does for me and the kids
-take cookies to my neighbors
-do something by myself while the kids are still awake (while they're with a responsible adult)
The list goes on and on. I'm not going to get down on myself because while I'm not doing these things I am very busily doing other things. The wind tunnel just made me realize how satisfying it can be to actually follow through. I suppose as long as I keep swimming and take tiny steps, like getting the vacuum I'd been thinking about for months, I'll be o.k.

3 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

Man, do I relate to this post! Yes, goals, goals, goals...sometimes I can barely get through a day let alone do something MORE! And thanks for the vacuum recommendation...be wanting to buy one FOREVER!

ashley said...

hello goats!

i need a good vacuum, bring yours down for the weekend? i know what you mean about meaning to do things, story of my life...

Mariko said...

I think that's the definition of Mom: Intending to do things that can never get done.

I just barely finished putting away (literally, seconds ago) that were still sitting out from the move, and all the while I was promising myself that I was really going to GO THROUGH all this stuff and throw stuff away once and for all.
I think I've been saying that for 8 years.
I literally have a box of cords (computer, phone, who knows to what?) that I have no idea what to do with. I can't even remember what they go to-- how am I supposed to remember if I need them?
Strangely enough, I've actually lost a cord that I really do need.