Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Work in Progress

We had fun this Easter weekend. That's right, it's Easter for us all weekend long.


We went to the wild free for all Easter egg"hunt" at our city park. For the 3 years and under it's a blocked off section of the grass with candy and plastic eggs spread across the area. Pretty tough. They obviously don't know that Taj and Eden have been trained to find candy.
That afternoon we dyed eggs. We had two packs of dye instead of one so we put two pellets in each cup and the colors were AMAZING. S0 vibrant and dyed them quickly, which is perfect for our attention span.





The Easter Bunny found our house, and my goodness that Eden girl can find an Easter egg. She's got skills. I wish I had footage of her spotting the egg and taking off in a run for it. Taj did well too but once he saw her working it he started waiting for her to find one and try to beet her to it. She didn't mind though. What she does mind is when you take away her candy after her hands and mouth are full of it. Lesson learned.



While Easter is always wonderful and a special time I feel like I'm still kind of wrestling with balancing the pagan and religious aspects of the occasion. I hope to do more of the candy, hunting, silliness part of the holiday on Saturday and then reserve Sunday for the true meaning of the day. Food and Easter clothes aren't going to cut it. What do you guys do? We're still a young family and are looking for traditions to adopt. Anyone?





























6 comments:

Stephanie said...

hahahahahaha!!! the crucifixes for sure! (i secretly think all things catholic are really beautiful... well i guess it's not a secret.... but anyway). that is hilarious! plus, an easter without sugar is like....unholy. :)

Bailey said...

I think that doing the egg hunt and fun stuff on Saturday is a great idea. My sisters started that tradition this year. My Mom said that it left Sunday very peaceful and reflective.

You guys are such a cute little family! Eden has beautiful hair!

ashley said...

your family is HOT!

now that i got that off my chest, i want to see eden run! she is a big girl, and yes like you said it has been too long! i think we will be up there in the end of august with lukes family but we will come play with you guys for sure!

i agree with the saturday easter egg hunt stuff and sunday for the more easter-ish things, that is what i want to do too! i have no other ideas for cool traditions, but am going to check back in your comments to see what people said!

heidi said...

have you ever seen resurrection eggs? we always hide those with the other eggs and then read about the resurrection with little things inside that relate. pretty cool and keep you in the right mode. i guess if you want candy saturday and holy sunday you could hide the regular eggs on saturday and the resurrection ones on sunday--everyone likes more hunts!

Amy said...

I just had to comment on how much I love Micah's hair right now. I haven't seen him with a little curl on the top for such a long time. What a handsome cousin I have! Jill, it was so fun to see you. I'll post some photos of my trip on my blog soon.

Molly Malia said...

i love easter cause i get the candy i want for jo... she ends up not eating it... I DO!!!

ps... taj man, you make easter so punk!