Sunday, January 4, 2009

Puppy Love

I'm officially done breastfeeding. It was a sad couple of days for Eden, which made it a sad couple of days for me. I don't consider myself especailly sentimental, but this experience (weening while NOT expecting another) has made me a little sappy and sentimental. I'm suprisingly emotional over something I was really looking forward to.
I've played with the idea of getting a puppy before, but now that my babies aren't babies anymore I have been really really REALLy wanting a puppy. I think it's just the emotions. I've found myself watching the pet adoption commercials on Demand (our cable offers them), and going ga-ga for some of the pups at petfinder.com. I'm sure I'll get over this soon enough, but in the meantime-HELP! (as if it were that serious) But seriously, as a person that has never had a dog before, can you help talk some sense into me? Take the sweet, cudley, puppy perfect picture out of my head. Give it to me straight- would a puppy be a huge mistake?

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Please listen to me. As an experienced dog owner of both the puppy, teen and older variety, for the love of all things sacred do not get a puppy!!! Ben and I have realized that while they are ridiculously adorable and have that amazing puppy smell, they are not worth the time and effort it takes to raise one the right way. Seriously.

Now, talk to me about an older dog...love love love. We will always get a mid to older dog. They are perfection. We have had nothing but awesomeness with our 2 adopted older dogs.

Bailey said...

I have to say we got Pico when he was about 6 months old. And he was great. He brings so much joy to Scout. She just loves him. We can't imagine life with out him. But if you're worried about a puppy then just get a small older dog. Then you don't have to worry about all the bad puppy behavior but you still have a puppy sized dog.

Ashleigh said...

Okay I guess I am going to be Debbie Downer. Sorry. (but dont get me wrong I totally love dogs) When Josh and I were first married we had Boba, the boxer, we loved her. and although she was a TON of fun, it was really hard for our lifestyle. since we liked to travel and we were gone a lot, Boba, sacrificed by either going to a realatives house or comeing with us and spending most of the time in her kennel. Lets face it dogs arent welcomed everywhere...just yet! And when we have are permanent home, one that we plan on living in for a long long time we will be getting a dog. So the Advice that I would give to you is to really think about the lifestyle you live. since you are young and have a young family its really fun to pack up and go for the weekend and with a dog hotels and rental places charge out of the roof for a pet to stay!


I know I am such a debbie downer!

Smiths said...

Thanks for the honesty. It's all really great advice and all stuff I kind of knew, but was idealizing. Thanks for bringing me back to earth:)

Mariko said...

I wanted puppies all growing up, but now I'm realizing how much more simple a cat is. Even if you're not a cat person, a cat takes care of itself for the most part.

Molly Malia said...

you can have one of mine