Saturday, June 21, 2008

to the not so cool pool

I grew up in Hawaii. Needless to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE warm weather and water. I'm aware that here in Utah I can only get both of those for a few months of the year, and have tried to come to terms with that. The last outing to the pool made it very difficult to do that. First complaint: I had to pay to go to the pool. It's really not that big a deal, but can add up when you like to go as often as we do. We stood in line for a little while. Taj saying over and over again, "Mom, I'm ready to go in now."

Finally got up to the counter to pay when complaint two and three arose: Because it is a pool there are lots of germs being released and shared. The state has a new rule that everyone under the age of three has to wear a swim diaper. Check. Already have them on. Oh, must also have on a plastic cover. Good grief. Fine. I'll take two. I wouldn't want any poo to slip out of another kid either. I pay the extra ten bucks for the plastic covers for the swim diapers, but wouldn't you know it, they can't get the case open with the stupid things in them. We wait. And wait. Taj still saying he's ready, and me trying to be patient and explain what we are waiting for. Not joking, thirty minutes later they get it open. Blurg.


We get the swim diaper covers on and explain to Taj how important it is not to poo in the pool and send him off running. Soooooo happy. A while later he needs to poo, so we head for the bathroom. What a great guy. Complaint Four: while Taj is being a great kid with the waiting, diapers, covers, bathroom break... another kid poos in the pool! I am so mad. We can't get in the pool for some chlorine cleansing thing that takes about twenty minutes. Poor sweet Taj.

I know I was spoiled growing up in Hawaii, but this was ridiculous. I'm doing all I can to try and like it here, but Utah is really making it hard.

I've been blessed with patient children who can really make the best, and forget all the junk so quickly. I have so much to learn. Maybe that's why I'm stuck here for now.

10 comments:

Mickell Gehret said...

I know exactly how you feel. I am stuck out here in friggin OHIO! Its so bad out here that I would actually give anything to be in utah...the one place I swore I would never end up! I hope it gets easier for ya! Just enjoy your few months of warmth for now!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard because I SO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!! I can't stand it that I have to pay so much just to go swimming, and then a kid poos!!! I finally did some searching and found out that Tibble Fork is really close by (AF Canyon) It was so beautiful up there, we fished, played in the water, and it only cost me $3 to get in!! I'm telling you, I don't know how much more of this I can take, but at least I found that resevoir! I'm ready for a long vacation at that house right on Hukilau beach...can't remember the name of it...actaully right now I'd even saty in the Laie inn ugh! :-)

Liz said...

um . . . i'm totally in love with patient obedient taj. love him, annoyed with pool, and for the love of natural chlorination (the ocean), come back home!

Bailey said...

So Frustrating! The snow in May was the straw that broke the camel's back for my sister & her husband. They are moving back to Hawaii towards the end of the year. At least Eden looks cute in her suit!

Canadian Ainu'u's said...

Jill! Oh my goodness you have kids now! That's great! I still remember you giving me a ride home from Kahuku when I was expecting my first one.
Your kids are gorgeous!
I can't believe you ended up in Utah, I would have never expected that from you. Oh well, maybe one day you'll return back home - where your kids won't have to wear so many diapers at once, and pay a weeks worth of groceries just so you can go swimming! :) - Tia

ashley said...

just a few more weeks, then you can hang on the beach.... and i will kidnap you and the kiddies and you won't have to go back there!

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

Eden and Leia have the exact same swimsuit!!!
I can't believe they charge that much for those plastic covers, which obviously don't even work!!

Molly Malia said...

yeah, get me to a beach!
jordan and i went to the pool by our house and there was a lady laying topless. so you want to come over for ankle deep kiddie pool fun? $8 to get into our pool on the weekend.

Shannon said...

Hey Jill! I don't know if you remember me, Shannon Curran (now Hadden). You probably remember Caitilin. I found your blog from a comment you left on The "Moana Street Memories" blog. How are you! Long time no see! It's great to catch up with friends from Laie. Hope all is well! -Shan

Mariko said...

By the time you hit ten comments, you know you're awesome. :)
There is a simpler solution to this problem than you think, I mean, who needs job security? Hawaii's where it's at. Semi-kidding here, but I definitely think you should move back.