Sunday, June 26, 2011

Weekend-ish



 Utah is crazy with rodeos, fireworks, and parades. Every week a different city is having their celebration: same recipe, different location. We had a great time at our city's parade. I didn't really care for them as a kid, but I'm thinking it was because Hawaii didn't have this much sparkle (rust doesn't count) and music, and check out the kids doing crazy gymnastics on a moving float. Fun.
We just got back from a mini vacation. Micah went to St. George for the Utah games and we went to the big Salt Lake City with Taffy/Nana. Whatever you call her, she's amazing. This is a pic of the kids looking out from the Church Office Building, where Taffy volunteers on Weds and Thursdays. What an amazing view.

This was an amazing way to see SLC. It really is a beautiful city with such interesting history. Eden loved seeing all the brides and had me call her "Bride" and ask why she was wearing white.

Every time I see the Temple in Salt Lake I wonder how in the world people were able to make such a huge, incredible and breath taking building way back when. Seriously.

We explored the Church History Museum. This dress was incredible. Hand stitched in the 1800's. It was a wedding dress.

What a city- right in the middle of the huge buildings is a well preserved cottage from  the first settlers. See it?

The Museum has an awesome hands on expo for kids. Eden is dancing with a tv that reflects off a mirror so it looks like she's dancing with them. She was in heaven.

Taj was getting down to business too. He loved the games on the computer, and was concentrating really hard on it. I think the stance says it all.
We stayed at a hotel that night. No pictures. We were too busy in the pool and eating and sleeping all snuggled up together. I'm not a person that likes touching when I'm sleeping. Eden loves to cuddle. Like be all over me and breath on me. It was cute for a little while. Olivia had no problem in her crib, but popped right up in the morning when she heard us all crazy hair and squeaky. Adorable.
The next morning we went out for a ride on Trax. It's the free transit system in the city and the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever.




We found ourselves at Gateway Mall and surprise, we all got soaked. What are you gonna do? It's vacation. So fun.

After checkout we headed home, but not without one more stop at Boondocks.


We didn't want to leave but it felt nice to be home. The kids are great little travelers and explorers and adventurers. Can't wait to see Micah when he gets home tomorrow. This was way better than just hanging out at home. A little weekend trip to remember.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this Pharrelll song. Such a great soundtrack! I also love Utah in the summer. Reminds me of visiting family as a child. The parades are really so American and fun and I love all the temple square photos! THAT DRESS! Wow. And I just got done reading Beloved Emma and even though she never made it to Utah it really gave me some perspective I didn't have before on the building of the temples..etc. and it makes the Salt Lake temple all the more amazing to me! Glad you guys have been having all this fun!

Meg said...

Looks so fun, and makes me really excited to visit utah in month. My dad works in the church office building, and I remember loving that view as a kid, so cool. Olivia is looking so grown up all of a sudden, adorable kids!

Ashleigh said...

I forget how neat slc can be for kids until someone posts cool pictures of the fun things they did. Looks like a blast. What a way to spend a weekend as tourist.

From G2B said...

I live in Orem and didn't realize that there's so much going on! Thanks for the heads up. How do you find out what's coming up? I wanna be down with the info!!
Becca