Monday, February 7, 2011

If....



While looking for a cruiser on craigslist I came across this 1946 beauty. Of coarse if I had $1000 lying around I'd take it! I got to thinking about all the things I say "if" about. "If I had more time...". "If I had more money...". "If my kids weren't so little...". "If" is a horrible word. It's a dangerous game to play. "If" has become my big excuse for not doing what I want and need to do. It takes me down a road where I don't think about all the amazing things I have right in front of me and the beauty of this time of life.
In an effort to stop using the "if" excuse I've started getting up before the kids are awake and running. It has been glorious. I get to start the day with peace and quiet and watch the sun rise while I run. So far I've been able to shower and get dressed (such a luxury) without distractions after the run. I've been in a better mood and feel like I've accomplished a few things on my daily wish list and have more time for the kids and family stuff. It may seem like a small thing, but it's made such a difference in the way the rest of my/our day goes.
While I'd still love this bike, I have many things far greater.

6 comments:

Kahilau said...

Amen sister! I am so with you, it makes a world of difference. How dreamy it would be, to first of all enjoy running again and to secondly be running on a warm, breezy, hawaii morning! Way to live!!!

Megan and Keli'i said...

True, true. What a great post. And what an awesome bike too!

Life now is good. I just read a quote the other day that said, "The grass isn't greener on the other side; the grass is greener where you water it."

So true, ain't it?

Stephanie said...

yes such a good reminder! i've been "if-ing" all weekend and this was a good wake up call for me. great job on the running. it's such a get it in here and there thing for me lately. congrats on getting it in! ah, i love this into the wild song! so! much! so great.

heidi said...

i've been doing the same! and YES it feels good in so many ways...as soon as I can get out of bed :)
thank you for this--and i love megan's quote!

Sally Jackson said...

Now If I could just get out of Utah........just kidding. So true. Thanks for the optimistic attitude. I need to wake up and smell the poopy diapers today and enjoy it. :)

j,d and little b said...

Awesome on the morning run.. I was debating if I should take a morning exercise class to see if it helps me during the day, but I can't seem to get motivated because what "if" I can't handle it, or I am too tired. But it seems to work for lots of people, so I might try it. And that bike is way awesome... but there are much better things in life :)