Sunday, August 29, 2010

Motherhood a.k.a Learning Patience

Last week in church (made it for 2 of the 3 hours!!) we had a lesson on patience. The big P. We got talking about how when we're feeling impatient it's because things aren't on my schedule. That's motherhood in a nutshell. All week long I've been thinking about how impatient I can be, but also how much patience I've learned since becoming a mom almost 5 years ago. It starts with, "when will this baby come?" then, "when will this muffin top go away?". Don't forget the, "when will I get a good nights sleep?". It never ends. I went for a run a couple times this week and there was the new lesson my body is teaching me.... it'll be a while before it feels like my own again.

I can see a lot of growth in Micah and I, but am constantly reminded of how much I have to learn still. At least we're able to stop and take a breath and remember that these moments are fleeting (most of the time). Usually I realize there is really no reason to be stressed or pushy and I am humbled to see how patient our kids are with us as parents.
*Olivia knows and loves her Daddy already. She follows his voice around a room. She's smiling and cooing. She lifts her head during tummy time and is A-Dor-Able!


*The kids learned patience waiting for the ice cream truck. It's silly around here.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh patience.... were some people just born with it? i know i wasn't. i think of you as a super patient mama and no joke i summoned some of what i observed from you when you were last here one time when i needed a more soothing tone and cool head with ambrose. carry on with your journey- you look good from here!

ashley said...

ah, the first run after having a baby. nothing like a swift kick in the butt to remind you how big your butt is! but, i can hardly believe that your butt is big at all!

and the big P- i am not so blessed in that area. why can't things just be on my schedule- at least with the kids? ahhh. parenting, such a fun learning experience! but truly, you are a great example of patience and calm parenting to me! we miss you guys!

katie speed said...

Just so you know... brent and I have had conversations about you as a mom and how calm and patient you are! we want to be like that.

Mariko said...

You went for a run? Amazing. I can barely walk around without pains in my muffin top.
And I'm jealous you're getting cooing. So cute.
Sounds like you guys are all on the fast track!