Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hammer Time

I saw MC Hammer on the Ellen Show and was really impressed with it. On the show they addressed his faith and bankruptcy. He said that going into his career he made a vow to dedicate one song per album to God. I thought that was kind of rare and never knew that when I was watching him "break it down" all those years ago. During the interview Ellen also asked him about his bankruptcy and asked him for advice for all the people that have lost their jobs and homes. His reply to that really blew me away. He said that after he was done touring and had made millions he knew the country was in bad times then too so he kept all 200 of his tour employees on payroll. He felt like that was never a waste of his money and he gained much more by doing that then he lost and that's why there's no record of him complaining about it.
He said that for all those out there that have lost jobs and think they've lost everything, they have way bigger problems cuz as long as they have family and real friends they should feel grateful. That's much easier said than done, but what an awesome example of gratitude. And to think that all this time his music, name and pants meant nothing more to me than the memory of me dancing to "Can't Touch This" at a BYUH basketball game and some bad outfits in the fifth grade.




7 comments:

Star Gazer said...

That is so inspiring. I didn't know that about him. :) I love your blog title. How did you create that?

Mariko said...

I added him on twitter when I heard his story. He has quite a loyal following these days.

malia said...

two words: pink. sequins.
lol! :)

Kahilau said...

That is pretty amazing. I had no idea. What a great surprise. I will stop making fun of him now!

ashley said...

that is cool.

i will go with you to the new disney movie, it looks so good!


and, it is so true about the kids going crazy with both parents around. i am cool as a cucumber when it is just me (ok, not all the time but most of the time) but when it's both of us i lose it so much easier and it seems like they are always more trouble with the two of us around! so funny how that works!

you guys still in hawaii?

Bailey said...

Saw it too and was thinking the exact same thing. He kinda put things into perspective. I love that Hammer Time!

Dustin said...

dang, you should've stayed in hawaii for a couple more weeks. he was at turtle bay and some of my friends met him...