Friday, February 6, 2009

Frugal McCheapskate?

While watching "Unwrapped" on the food network- love the Food Network, but not so sure about "Unwrapped," , I was introduced to a website that claims to save bundles on groceries. I'll share: http://thegrocerygame.com

The Rundown: the web sight owner searches ads, promotions, and all other inside scoops on food deals at a few grocery store chains. She lists the current deals and has all the coupons ready for you to print. You just take the list, print the coup.s and buy what you want/need from the list-AND SAVE $$$. She has even figured out ways to get food for free. They showed the woman on a regular shopping trip at her local grocer and I watched her grocery total go from $2oo down to $33 dollars-not kidding you.

I thought it was interesting while watching the segment, but it didn't end after the show was over. I can't write anything on my grocery list without thinking about the show. I keep thinking of all the money I could be saving- groceries is the biggest monthly expenditure besides the mortgage after all. I keep thinking about the study on 20/20 I saw years ago interviewing several millionaires that shop at Walmart. The point was that the rich become rich by what they don't spend and by being frugal. On the flip side, the poor stay poor by spending more than is necessary on items like groceries. Which one do I want to be?

So I think I'll be signing up for the 4 week trial. I'll let you all know how it goes and how much I save (hopefully).

3 comments:

ashley said...

jessica brown- jaron's wife, does this and saves sooo much money it is ridiculous. a free trial? i might have to try that out too!

Anonymous said...

Oprah did an entire show on this. It's crazy how much people save. Although it's like a full time job. You have to time it just right to figure out when you're going to buy the bread on sale with the coupon under the timeline. It's confusing just talking about it. I hate grocery shopping bc stores in Utah put items in the most ridiculous places (leaving me going up and down the aisles at least twice.)But let me know if this site works outa nd I'll jump on the bandwagon...thanks!

Liz said...

jill,
my sister has been doing this forever. it's like a fun hobby for her. i went with her once and no joke, before the coupons coupled with in-store specials, the bill was over $200. she walked out of there spending $35!! and this is in hawaii! she used to use that website but now does it on her own. she teaches sisters in rs and everything. why am i not doing it? i have no idea! but your post just gave me a great reminder. i think i'll start.