Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sleep and Food

Sleep and food are two of my favorite things. In the winter I definitely spend more time thinking about both of them. I think about sleep because it's dark until at least eight in the morning, so I feel way way worse when the ol' rooster (Taj) starts crowing. It got really bad after the last daylight saving, which I hate. He started getting up at five, then up several times in the night to ask if it was morning yet since he knew it would be dark until way later. Ugh. This fun development turned into a horrible going to bed routine of him getting up sometimes twenty times before the final sleep. Grabbing at our last straws, Micah and I decided that if we pulled out the nap and turned it into quiet time he'd be so tired that he might actually go to bed and actually stay in bed. The good news is it worked. Taj is sleeping from eight until seven-YAHOO! The bad news is that "quiet time" isn't usually so quiet. He sings really loudly and jumps all over his room, and who knows what else he does in there, but it is in his room...away from us, and he seems to like it :). I knew the day would come, just not so soon.
Being stuck indoors more this time of year has me close to obsessed with food. I'm cooking a lot more, which is a plus. I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes...send along any of your favorites please, I've got several months of cooking ahead. The winter layer is coming along nicely thanks to this. Oh well. Here's a tasty one I tried last night. It's a Brazilian style chicken with a mango salsa. So good. I'll post the recipe someday (supposed to be a thirty minute recipe, but that's obviously referring to a cook without two little ones).Now if you don't mind, I'm going up for some winter hibernating :)

6 comments:

ashley said...

mango salsa, mmmmmm.

winter layer huh? i find that pretty hard to believe, your a toothpick.

glad you got the sleeping stuff under control, that is so so annoying and it's nice that he will at least stay in his room for not so quite time.

Bailey said...

I love sleep and food too. Some of the best food I've ever had was eaten at your families house in Hawaii. I still dream of a sweet potato pie that I had there. Yum!

And about the hair. I find my best trick is distraction. Let her have books, puzzels, toys while she's sitting on your lap. Usually I can get a good 5 minutes out of that.

Melanie said...

I think the love of food and sleep extends to all Smiths and their wives! Isn't that all we do on vacation when we get together?

You should totally use a crockpot. Busy moms should always use a crockpot. I do it because I can't cook, but you seriously just throw stuff in and turn it on. More time with the kiddos.o

Kahilau said...

That really does look so yummy. You will have to post that recipe. And by the way I am with you about the sleeping and eating. I do way more of it AND. I am also a HATER of day light savings. It bites when you have little ones!

Mariko said...

This could be a really great development for you! :)
Where's that recipe? Huh Huh?

Amy said...

I want the recipe! Post it soon. I'll have to email you a few of our staple recipes. Eden is looking so grownup and darling. Come visit me this summer so I can get to know your kids a little bit. It would be so fun!