Saturday, November 22, 2008

Adventure in Ventura

My Uncle Rob passed away a couple of weeks ago, so we made some last minute plans to get ourselves to California for the funeral. It was a sweet experience in that the funeral was really small- 8 of us. His sister, Rose, had some Beetle's playing and we all just visited at the grave site his ashes will be buried in. I didn't really know him and actually never heard many good stories about my Uncle Rob while he was alive, but at the funeral I was able to hear a lot of great stories about him. I also heard some of his poetry which I loved and will share another time. Turns out my Uncle Rob was very talented and had friendships we never knew about. I really found a lot of hope in the experience and think of him free from his earthly problems. There was a lot of laughter at the funeral, and not too irreverent. It was touching and the kind of funeral I would like.

I flew with the kids while Micah drove and camped out the day before. Taj got to see the cockpit of our airplane and even press some buttons (thank you Southwest for helping a mom out). Micah got some o.k. waves then picked us up. After the funeral we checked into our house in Ventura. Micah loves to plan out our trips and found us a rad place 9 houses from the beach! We had great eighty degree weather and loved the area. We were next to a marina so we saw boats all day long.
Eden loved the cold water and charged for it nonstop. We all got sick on the trip, and Taj wouldn't stay asleep (new bed/sounds/lights...), but we had a great time. It was a reminder of how blessed we are and how grateful I am best friends with my family.

4 comments:

ashley said...

ventura...cool.
sounds like it was an all round great- and different trip. stinks to get sick on va-ca, hope everyone is beter!

Liz said...

so glad you got to get to know your uncle a little bit better through this experience. even though people have made mistakes, it's nice to learn that they eventually hone some redeeming qualities. and also nice to be reminded about how blessed we are with our own families. fun you all made the best of this time in cali. and yeah, ditto with the awesome public speaker, ashley, hope everyone's better.

Mariko said...

I'm glad you went. I bugged a certain person about going more than once, but he felt similarly to you (before you went) and thought it was probably not a good idea.
You are so cute. I love how you say your family are your best friends. That is just about the sweetest thing about you. You are a total super mom.

Amy said...

Hey Jilly, loved seeing the photos of Thanksgiving and California. Miss you!