Friday, March 14, 2008

A Day at the Mall

While wasting time at the mall this afternoon Micah and I came to some realizations. First we realized that we kind of hate the mall. Surrounded by people dressed in the latest fashions, shopping for newer things they have to have so they can come back to mall and shop for more new things. Yuck. It has a way of making a person feel bad for wearing jeans that are starting to tear and for not getting around to brushing their hair.
Next, we realized that we are getting old. Seriously, old. When a high school kid greeted us at Zumiez we asked each other if we are allowed to go into stores like that anymore. When a sales person referred to Micah as "Boss," we decided that no, we are not allowed to go into stores like that anymore. Passing more trendy and flirty high school kids it dawned on us that we have joined the group of adults that take their kids to the mall to shop and our lives flashed before our eyes. How long until Taj has an opinion about what he wears and Eden is begging us for new shoes she has to have, or worse, they don't want to be seen with us at the mall.
I think the most profound realization that came from that trip to the mall was that we really really need to try harder to find things to do on a Friday afternoon.

5 comments:

Kari said...

I HATE malls for all of those reasons! I like to stay up to date with clothing, but I always feel so judged at the mall, like you said. As for the age thing, I'm in YW's now, and am seriously feeling so dang old! I was thinking about the college days today and realized that was like 6 years ago! Where does time go????!?!! Life is about our kids now, isn't it? I wish we lived closer and could play! Maybe someday I'll make it out to Utah.

Melanie said...

Anyone over 18 is too old to go to the mall. I realized that when the only stores I started going to were the alteration place and Ann Taylor loft for business casual wear. I also find myself thinking, "Your parents let you out of the house in that?" Hopefully no one will ever say that about Taj or Eden.

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

I'm reading this after a couple of hours wasted at the mall!!
Everytime we go, I feel Like a frumpy mom, (especially on my way to the nordstrom's mother's lounge) who has no idea when teenage boys decided that skinny jeans, tight shirts and long hair was cool.

Molly Malia said...

i feel so out of place in malls now... you have to totally be in the mood to shop in one!

Anonymous said...

I use to beg Jean to come to the mall with me, but everytime we get there I find myself in total regret. It's two-fold; One, Jean pouts the whole time because he can't stand shopping, and two, I hate the feeling of thinking I actually NEED any of that material stuff! It's a little different in Orange County, because the malls out here include people of all ages who compete for the latest trends and then some. The malls here includes designer stores, so you can imagine how out of control it gets! I've put a ban on the mall and stick to stores like Target and T.J. Maxx/Homegoods! Now that's my kind of shopping....