Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Helmets at the Dinner Table

Be warned: there's a pretty gross, blurry picture at the bottom of this blog,


Our kitchen counter doubles as our kitchen table. We eat on stools around it. It's how we've done it for a long time and it seems to work. Until the other night. The kids get wiggly a lot so last Thursday wasn't too diferent. Eden was turned around talking to Olivia when I notice apple chunks coming out of her laughing mouth. I tell her to turn around and eat over her plate. That's when she slips while turning around. I'm about to get mad at her for being wild. I tell her to go sit on the couch to calm down and notice a little blood on her forehead. Taking a closer look I can see that's not where the blood is coming from. I turn her around and see blood oozing down her neck. She had a pretty bad gash on her head. It took me by such suprise. Micah wasn't home so I had one of those moments where I can feel myself almost freak out from the blood and fear and have to stop myself and be brave and calm for sweet Eden. I have her lay down and I go to get some ice and that's when my knight in shining armor, or wet surf shorts comes home. We decided not to super glue it and an hour later she got three staples in her head.
She was so brave. As she and Micah were leaving Kahuku ER she told him she like's it here. She meant Hawaii because it's warm and people are nice. Funny reaction, I know, but at least it ended positively for her and she came home happy as could be. She's been kind of excited about it and wants to show everyone her staples. Her head is healing nicely. Me on the other hand, I;m still a little shaken up about it. The kids have been getting a healthy dose of "don't do that or you'll end up with staples in your head." It's crazy to think of all the wild and dangerous things the kids do in a day, and she gets hurt at the dinner counter. We need to get helmets.

3 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I am so glad to hear that she's okay! I had to have Josh read this and then explain to me in very little details as to what happened. I got the gist of it and didn't see the picture but we are glad that she is okay.

ashley said...

helmets for dinner, totally acceptable. poor eden, but she is a trooper. and as long as it's not keeping her out of the pool it's all good, right?

p.s. at my parents house lola somehow got the pray off the high chair and i watched her fall out of it right onto her head. let us know where you get those helmets, we need some too.

liko said...

oh man, that's tough! anytime your kids ends up in the ER it's scary! glad she's on the mend!