Saturday, August 6, 2011

First Day of School

On Tuesday we took this excited boy to his first day of Kindergarten. He was super helpful and pretty much ran to the car. The whole family drove him, but I got to take him in and meet his teacher and see his class. It took all of a few seconds for him to walk away from me and sit with the kids. Mrs. Meha was as sweet as could be. I left feeling really excited for him.
The car ride home was super quiet. Well, compared to what I'm used to. Eden was helpful at keeping us busy and distracting us. We went to the pool and did some school work for her. Had lunch and before I knew it, it was time to get Taj.
Eden had to come with me and see the class. She says his teacher looks like a boy. There were other anxious first time parents waiting for pick up, which comforted me. I picked up a tired boy. And a cuddly boy. He didn't want to talk about his day much. His teacher said he got sad at lunch, and when I asked him about it he broke down and cried and just hugged us. Sweet guy.
It was heart breaking, but also reassuring to me of what a strong bond we have. Maybe too strong? I'm happy to be missed, all though I hate to think of Taj being sad and lonely and I can't really do anything about it but wait until he gets to come home. That and send little notes on his napkin in his lunch.
More details of his first day keep sneaking out. Slowly. I've learned that he got to play on a small playground, do puzzle, had to make friends with the girl, he was the only kid with a home lunch, he wrote as many numbers as he could, and his teacher was nice. That about sums it up. I'm nervous about Monday when he goes back. I'm nervous he wont want to go, or that it will be just as lonely. I know it's time for him to go, but I'm nervous. I want him to love school and feel loved there, but I guess that's not the way the world works all the time. It's a transition, I know. It's going to be a little harder than I thought, and not just for him. It's really hard for me to let him go through the transition. It's a reminder of how important it is to let him know how loved he is every second he's with me, then hopefully whatever happens the rest of the time will be easier to get through. It was the just the first day, after all.

3 comments:

Kahilau said...

You are an amazing mom. The love and concern you feel and show for your kids is a great example to me. Taj is an amazing kid and will do great. It is so hard to let go and put them in situations you know are uncomfortable and even hard for them. Better when he is 5 and can bounce back than later...Good luck on Monday!

Mariko said...

Taj is the sweetest kid. He is the perfect cousin for Amaya.

Melanie said...

Taj is going to be just fine and so are the rest of you. Transitions are very difficult but that's where the learning comes, from surpassing the challenge. I can't wait to hear about the rest of his school year! XXOO