Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inaugural Memories

I was very moved by the inauguration of President Obama. I didn't really expect to get into the election at all. This is the first inauguration I can remember watching and truth be told I even got teary eyed. I've never felt such pride and hope for our country. Micah says it's because I grew up in Hawaii where the only pride that's acceptable is Hawaiian Pride. Could have something to do with it, but either way I was bursting.

Later while the kids were napping and doing quiet time I turned on the boob tube for a little more of that inauguration high. The parade was starting and Pres. Obama threw a Shaka at the marching band from Punahou High School. The emotions came again. I'm a bit of an emotional eater I guess cuz I decided I needed some Inaugural cookies and went for these 7 layer cookies I had made the day before.They were pretty stuck to the pan so this is the knife I used to cut them and get the cookies out with.
The knife slipped up and 14 stitches later, I was back home recovering while watching the inaugural balls. The knife went in the bottom of my left pointer finger and out the top. Yuck.


I refuse to show you the stitches, sick-o's, but I will tell you how very lucky and grateful I am that 1. I still have my pointer finger. 2. The kids were not around until I was on my way to the doctors. 3. I somehow didn't sever any nerves or bone. 4. Nana and my brother in law Gabe came at the drop of a hat. All I had to say was that I cut my finger and needed to go to the hospital. They came right over. Nana took the kids and Gabe drove me. I thought I was being pretty tough but I guess I was pretty obviously in shock. "What would you do in a situation like that?" I laughed my way through the shots and stitches, mostly at myself. I feel like such a dumby. It doesn't hurt now, but is a very annoying reminder of what an idiot I can be. I think Gabe called it a, "fat kid move".

There you have it. A very memorable Inauguration. Welcome President Obama.

12 comments:

ashley said...

smooth move.

that does not look like fun, but way to give blood for your country. hope that heals fast! i am sort of laughing- sorry- but only because it is something i would do, i am totally an emotional eater too. good thing we don't have cable (or a t.v.) or who knows what might happen around here.
get better soon momma!

Melanie said...

while I don't understand the "fat kid" comment from silly Gabe, (who doesn't love cookies? ) I know how lucky you are! a friend of ours had to take off work and is still in physical therapy for cutting his hand carving pumpkins! poor Jill! at least now you will have a lasting memory of one of our greatest days in history!

liko said...

ouch! i was wondering where the post was headed when you started talking about what knife you used to cut the cookies...

Linsey said...

The Hawaiian pride alone would have been enough to make it a memorable day -- I admit I was tearing up a little too.

Glad your self-inflicted wound wasn't worse and hope it heals fast.

Kahilau said...

Oh my, that looks painful! I totally get that it's more painful to the ego than the body. You are oh so lucky and I am glad you are doing well. I too was moved by the inauguration. Hawaii pride was beaming bright!

heidi said...

wow. you're lucky there's only a new pres at the most every 4 years! ouch!! hope it heals fast.

Bailey said...

So this will be the most memorable inauguration ever for you! From what it sounds like you were pretty brave. I would have definitely passed out. I hope it gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Jill! I completely get the emotional eating and the pride thing. I'm not even from Hawaii and I was watching the whole Inauguration at work in the conference room all by my lonesome. Hoarding Chocolate Caramel Macadamia Nut Clusters and tearing up the whole day. Just glad my bosses weren't there to see me be all emotional. Glad ur ok. We need to hit a yoga class soon!

Lacey said...

well i have to admit i didn't watch the inauguration, but ouch, sorry about your finger. glad it wasn't worse!

Mariko said...

Jake says, "I think Jill has had more stitches than me."
AH! I can't believe this one. That sounds awful.
He also said, "Is there a picture?"
I guess we're sickos.

Amy said...

Wow, I hope those cookie bars were really yummy!!! I don't know what I would have done if I saw a knife stuck in any part of my body and coming out the other side. Yikes!!! I haven't had any stitches or broken bones in my whole life. I'm a pretty boring person, huh??? After seeing this post, I hope i stay that way. Glad you are okay.

Molly Malia said...

nice jill, do i have to come remove all knives from the home??? so how did the cookies taste???