Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sticking With It

I have recently been reminded of one my bad qualities- how quickly I'm willing to throw in the towel. Taj and I started potty training on Saturday morning. We did the whole party thing and teaching the doll (read it in Potty Wise and thought I had it all figured out). Anyway, after two long and draining days I'm confused and frustrated, and sad for my little guy. Don't get me wrong, he's gone on the potty about ten times now, but not without at least spotting his underwear a little first (or worse) 8 out of ten times. Any pointers or words of comfort out there? I need it so I can continue being positive for Taj. He's taking it pretty well emotionally, and Eden has been a peach. I really am blessed, but must know when it will click and I can leave the house again?




Don't have a green thumb.... more like a wilty thumb. I'll keep trying.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

If it makes you feel better, Bennett will only sit on the potty while we hold him down and will only go potty once he steps down from it! We have bought different potties hoping that one of them would spur him on, but no! We should have a party just for living through it! When you figure it out, come teach my kid.

Lacey said...

i think he's doing awesome if he realizes he is starting to go, stops and makes it to the potty, bottom line he knows what he is doing or needs to do, i think as long as its not a huge battle to get him on the potty its worth it to keep going! Every kids got to find their own way! but i know its hard to not be able to leave the house. i say stick with it! good luck

Meilani said...

Patience and a positive attitude are the only things I have found to really work when it comes to potty training. Stick with it, especially if he is interested and not fighting it. But, just so you know there is no shame in calling it quits for a while and trying again later.

Mariko said...

I have recently started thinking about potty training, mostly due to Amaya's urging (she takes off her diaper and sits on the potty at least 3 times a day, not peeing, just for fun), but I'm overwhelmed by the idea. It just sounds like a crazy incredible hassle, and I'd still have to wipe her butt, so what is the advantage here?

Amy said...

I have never been into following the parenting guide books very religiously. Every kid is so different and when it doesn't work like the book, it just leaves you frustrated and feeling bad about yourself that you've done something wrong. I think it is great that he has gone so many times and is interested. I don't think it matters that his underwear is spotted as long as he is getting the practice to get on the potty. Don't stress about it. I hear that boys take longer than girls anyway.

malia said...

jill!
hey, i found your blog from our class website. i hope ya don't mind if i peek in at your cute family!
i've got a blog too, but it's private. email me if ya want to see what's going on with us!
malialittlefield@gmail.com
take care!
love, malia

Anonymous said...

Well Jill, after raising and potty training four boys all I can say is there are no exact rules. Each one is different, some are ready...others just want to take their time. I never pushed any of them, and eventually they just did it on their own. I couldn't and didn't want to stress out about it. So you can either stick with it, or you can just wait it out. Just enjoy watching your son reach new milestones in his life...they grow up SOOO fast! ;-)